With the hope that you Have a Safe and Happy New Year, we offer these DUI Defense Tips for your New Year's Eve Celebration.
The best way to defend against a DUI is to avoid it in the first place.
5 Tips to Avoid a DUI Arrest During Your New Year's Celebration:
- If you are celebrating the New Year with a few alcoholic beverages, don't drive. Many people will try to "pace" themselves so they are "good to drive at the end of the night" and will do so as long as they "feel OK to drive." If you find yourself or a friend in this position at the end of the night, remember this advice from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA): Buzzed Driving is Drunk Driving. Don't DUI.
- Your "Designated Driver" should not be a "less drunk" driver. A Designated Driver should be a Sober Driver. Don't wait until the bars are closing or the party ending to choose a designated driver by "drawing straws" for the "less drunk" person among your friends.
- "DUI" includes Drugged Driving. This includes use of prescription drugs even when lawfully prescribed. Follow the prescribed instructions provided with your medication. If you are instructed not to drive or consume alcohol while taking the medication, don't. Additionally, abstaining from alcohol consumption by using drugs (marijuana, cocaine, hallucinogens, or any other mind-altering drugs) in order to be "the driver" is neither a a safe plan nor way to avoid Driving Under the Influence.
- Plan Ahead. As the party goes on and the booze takes hold, we lose our inhibitions making us more likely to make poor decisions. Thus, the best time to designate a sober driver is before the party starts.
- Plan B. In life, things do not always go as we plan, especially when alcohol is part of the equation. When your original plan implodes because your designated driver is dancing on the bar drinking a second bottle of champagne (or otherwise), you need a back-up plan to get you home safely. Click this link to download the SaferRide App to your phone. It's simple. It will help you call a cab, phone a pre-programmed contact, or map your current location if you are lost.
Arrested? DUI? Defend Your Rights. Protect Your Freedom.
No matter how well we plan with the best of intentions things can still go wrong. When things go wrong, Shawn Curry Law can help.
Criminal & DUI Defense Lawyer Shawn Curry has the knowledge and skills necessary to defend you based on his years of experience focused on helping people accused of crimes and DUI throughout Central PA.
If you or someone you care about has been arrested or charged with a crime, contact Shawn Curry Law today for a free case assessment.