Shawn M. Curry
HELPING PEOPLE accused of crimes restore and improve their life.
Because when your criminal case ends, the rest of your life is just beginning.
"I want the people I help to see their experience with the criminal justice system as a speed bump, not a permanent road block, in the rest of their lives.”
When you have been charged with a crime, your rights, your freedom, and your life are on the line. Shawn Curry has the knowledge, experience, and vision necessary to meaningfully defend your rights, advance your interests, and put you in a position to move forward in a positive direction at the conclusion of your case.
Attorney Curry has appeared in more than 20 counties throughout the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania helping people accused of crimes including, but not limited to, Felony Drug Delivery, Possession with Intent to Deliver, Drug/ Marijuana Possession, DUI, Theft, Assault/Violent Crimes, and Sex Offenses. He is admitted to practice before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, U.S. District Court to the Middle District of Pennsylvania and all Pennsylvania Courts of Common Pleas.
“I don’t represent ‘criminals.’ I help people.
While others may have replaced your constitutional right to the presumption of innocence with an assumption of guilt, I am committed to a personalized and strategic approach meant to give you the best chance at leveling the playing field and achieving your goals for the outcome of your case.”
Shawn assists you in defining your personal goals for the outcome of your case and develops a strategy to achieve those objectives. He works hard to understand the circumstances that led to the criminal charge because this tells the story of your experience, not a still-frame snapshot of the single worst moment in time. This allows him to bring the human component back into the equation, return the focus to you as a person, and reverse the stigma created by the nature of the charges you face. Shawn’s personalized approach is key to minimizing—if not eliminating—the consequences of the criminal accusation.
To improve the value of his trial skills, as well as that of others, Mr. Curry has obtained relevant training and experience outside the courtroom. He frequently returns to his alma mater, Widener University School of Law, to serve as a faculty member teaching trial advocacy skills to law students at its Intensive Trial Advocacy Program (ITAP) and as a judge for trial advocacy competitions. Additionally, Shawn has received certification as an Instructor in Standard Field Sobriety Testing and as an Evidentiary Breath Test Technician relating to DUI litigation. He also participated in the National Drug Defense Seminar in Houston, Texas.
Prior to obtaining his juris doctorate degree from Widener University School of Law, Attorney Curry received his undergraduate degree from The Pennsylvania State University. As a lawyer, Shawn has worked in private practice, where he has concentrated on the areas of criminal and DUI defense. He has also gained legal experience serving as law clerk/intern with the Centre County Office of Public Defender, the Law Office of the late John “Rusty” Miller, in Lewistown, and the Dauphin County Office of District Attorney.
Areas of Practice
- 70% Criminal Defense
- 30% DUI Defense
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit
- Widener University School of Law, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
- J.D. cum laude
- Honors: Trial Advocacy Honor Society
- The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania
- Major: Criminal Justice
- Intensive Trial Advocacy Program, Widener University School of Law, 2007 - 2013
- The Business of Defense, DCBA
Honors and Awards
- 2010 SuperLawyers Rising Star
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Dauphin County Bar Association
- Cumberland County Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (PACDL)
- Dauphin County Pretrial Services, Board Member
- Central Dauphin Youth Wrestling Association (CDYWA), Assistant Coach
- West Hanover Baseball Softball Association (WHBSA), Team Sponsor
- Juniata High School Football Touchdown Club, Program & Game Ball Sponsor
Past Employment Positions
- Private Criminal & DUI Defense Firm, Senior Litigation Associate, 2006 - 2009
- Private Law Firm, Criminal Defense Lawyer, 2009 - 2013
- Lambda Chi Alpha